Frequently Asked Questions


*Click a question to view the answer.

1) Do I need a passport to go to Costa Rica?

A valid passport is mandatory to enter Costa Rica. It should be valid during the following 6 months after your entry date to Costa Rica.


2) Do I need a visa to go to Costa Rica?

Depending on your country of origin you may enter Costa Rica without a visa. USA, Canada and most European countries have this privilege.


3) Can I enter Costa Rica with a one way ticket?

All visitors must have a round trip ticket as an entry requirement.


4) Do I need an international driver’s license to drive in Costa Rica?

You are allowed to drive with your normal driver’s license for three months.


5) Can I get married in Costa Rica? What documents do I need?

Foreigners can get married in Costa Rica. The documents needed are:

  • - Original birth certificate
  • - Affidavit of single status
  • - Police record
  • - Valid passport
  • - Divorce decree (if applicable)

These documents need to be authenticated before presented to the authorities Costa Rica.


6) Is the water drinkable in Costa Rica?

The water is potable in most of the country. We recommend using bottled water, especially in areas around the coast.


7) What is the currency in Costa Rica? And are credit accepted in Costa Rica?

The Costa Rican currency is called Colon. US dollars and most major credit cards are widely accepted. You will find ATM machines distributed throughout the country.


8) What documents are required to enter with a pet to Costa Rica?

Dogs and cats entering Costa Rica must have a health certificate issued and endorsed by a licensed veterinarian. The examination for the certificate must be conducted within the two weeks prior to traveling to Costa Rica. The required vaccinations are: distemper, hepatitis, lestospirosis, parvovirus and rabies (for animals 4 months or older). Contact us for more information and details.


9) How much is the departure tax?

The departure tax is $26 and can be paid in US dollars, colones or with credit cards.


10) How can I get a working visa?

You must apply for a working visa at the Costa Rican Consulate.


11) How can I apply for legal residency in Costa Rica?

Costa Rica offers different ways to legalize your status. Contact us for more information regarding the types of residency statuses currently available.


12) Are the national parks accessible by wheelchair?

The Poas Volcano National Park is the only park that offers access for wheel chairs.


13) Is there a tour operator offering special tours for handicapped people?

Kosta Horda offers special trips for the handicapped.


14) If I decided to stay longer, can I get a visa while I am there?

You just have to leave the country for 72 hours, upon returning to Costa Rica the visa will be renewed automatically for 90 days.


15) What number should I dial in case of emergency?

Dial 911 for immediate assistance.


16) Where can egg laying turtles be seen?

You can go to Tortuguero National Park in the Caribbean or to Las Baulas National Park in the Pacific coast.


end faq

*Information provided by Instituto Costarricense de Turismo (ICT)

Newsletter Signup!

Vehicles for Sale!

Make a Payment


Jacqueline Marie Monacell

Jacqueline Monacell is the founder and president of Your Costa Rica Contact and has been living and working in Costa Rica since 1994. She has lived and studied in Spain, traveled and worked extensively throughout Central America and is completely bilingual.

Jacqui is originally from Rochester, New York where she lived until graduating from Pittsford Mendon High School. After high school she moved to New England and attended the University of New Hampshire  where she graduated cum laude with a BA in International Affairs and Spanish. She studied abroad in both Granada and Almeria, Spain. Immediately following graduation, Jacqui moved to Costa Rica and began her career.

In 1995, Jacqueline formed a strategic partnership with Car Doc SA ( and began working as the Central American Regional Manager with Mitchell International and Mitchell, US, software solutions companies specializing in the automotive and insurance industries. In 2002 she also began managing the regional distribution of UK-based Autodata Ltd. products. Working closely with these automotive software specialists, Jacqueline acquired extensive experience in the automotive collision and repair industry at an international level.

In 2005, Jacqui began Your Costa Rica Contact, a relocation and consulting company based in San José, Costa Rica. With her experience in the automotive industry, the company initially focused on assisting clients to find dependable transportation at fair prices. Your Costa Rica Contact gradually expanded to offer a wide variety of services for people relocating or spending extended periods of time in Costa Rica.

As an expatriate herself, Jacqui understands first-hand how difficult and frustrating the transition of relocating to Costa Rica can be and so the vision of the company today is to deliver top services at reasonable prices to foreign residents or tourists provided through YCRC's industrious and trustworthy network of local professionals.

In her free time, Jacqui enjoys playing tennis, mountain biking, cooking, reading,  riding motorcycles and spending time with her husband and dogs.